A positive body language is a window to balance and a matured personality. During the course of the SSB it is essential that you observe appropriate manners and social graces. Certain important tips in the regard are enumerated below :-
Maintain a friendly disposition and make a deliberate effort to interact with candidates in your group for PPDT discussion. In stage I PPDT there will be 15 to 17 candidates in a group, generally in ascending order.
Stand up and wish the assessors, who will brief you for the tests being conducted.
Listen to the briefing carefully and attentively and do not ask irrelevant questions and doubts.
Be smartly turned (dark trousers, plain light shirt with tie and polished shoes, blazers could be worn in winters.) And march in smartly as you are ushered towards the site of where PPDT discussion will take place avoid wearing bangles, bracelets many rings chains etc. mild make and modest attire is advisable for women candidates.
Throughout the group discussion part of stage I remain calm, composed and friendly. Remember to use polite words likely may I have your attention; I beg to disagree with chest no so and so, sorry to interrupt etc. and do not be angry or agitated.
- Stand up and wish the assessors who brief you and be very attentive during his briefing.
- Do not interrupt while he is briefing, in case any query or genuine doubt, raise your hand (right hand) and clarify your doubt at the end of his briefing.
- Do not cheat/talk with other candidates during the tests.
- Carry all required material along with you, arrange your items nicely.
- Write your tests on the prescribed sheet ,do not start marking on the booklet given to you (it is very annoying for psyche).
- Do not ask for unscheduled break in b/w the test’s and answer all calls of nature prior to the tests.
- Do not ask for extra time to complete your tests.
- Be properly dressed for the GTO task (white shorts, white t-shirt, white socks and white sports shoes; Sikh candidate to wear white /black patka; women candidates can wear white track pants and tie hair neatly tucked in) and take pride of your turnout and bearing.
- Stand smartly in the stand at ease position with chest out and chin up, as GTO approaches you for his morning first briefing. Remember, first impression is last impression.
- Wish the GTO loudly, with a pleasant smile on your face (which should remain till end of GTO series).
- Listen to his briefing very attentively (candidates who keep looking away repeatedly or stand sloppily with the weight on one leg, present a casual attitude).
- q. You must ensure that do exactly as the GTO asks you to do, especially b very careful not to break any rules given out by the GTO.
- Show constant high energy level (do not look tired or bored) during the complete GTO series. However safety is prime importance of all physical tasks.
- Maintain a helping and cooperative attitude towards the other candidates in your group. Show a lot of team spirit and mutual bonding. Remember cooperation always works both ways.
- In case someone sustains an injury during the conduct of the obstacles, give him/her helping hand and volunteer to assist that person.
- Be large hearted and group oriented the conduct of the outdoor and indoor tasks, by giving others also a chance ,being open to views and not being adamant about thrusting your own view point on others.
- Be formally dressed and smartly walk into the I.O’s office with the imaginary “halo” Around your head and walking to an imaginary peppy tune.
- Wish the IO brightly and firmly shake his hand, if he offers you his hand.
- Sit down only when he asks you to sit and thank him for offering you a chair. You may sit cross legged, be comfortable and relaxed, but at same time do not appear casual.
- Your body language will depict your feelings, so be honest, forthright and to the point in your views. You must maintain eye contact with the IO. In case you are not aware about something, say “sorry sir”, I am not aware.