Foreign policy is the use of political influence in order to induce other countries to exercise the law-making power in a manner desired by the countries concerned. It is an interaction between forces originating outside the country’s borders and those working within them. Foreign policy refers to the way in which the central governments of sovereign countries relate to each other. Foreign policy is the key element in the process by which a state translates its broadly conceived goals and interests into concrete course of action to attain the objectives and interests.
Foreign policy Analysis involves the study of how a state makes foreign policy. The stages of foreign policy in decision making of the issues are as follows :-
- Assessment of the international and domestic political environment
- Goal setting
- Determination of policy options
- Formal decision making action
- Implementation of chosen policy option
If we talk about the foreign policy in the 21st century, it still more rooted in the core values. India, in the following years, have to face five important challenges . They are :-
- The creation of an area of peace and prosperity in the South-Asian conteninent – India has been determined to work along with the neighbours, as well as with the major powers. It has tried out its major policies for the relationship with the Pakistan. It has committed to help for the Afghan people.
- The construction of stable architecture for peace and co-operation in Asia – the idea of Asian unity and solidarity deeply influenced by the Indian national movement.
- The peaceful management of Asia- China’s growing assertiveness and America’s pivot to Asia are likely to create tense period. India cooperates with US in wide-ranging maritime security activities.
- A new internationalism which will deepens the integration in the global economy – There is considerable interest in US and Europe on the kind of global role that India might undertake in the 21st century.
- A clear line between celebrating its own democratic values and imposing them on others – India’s political success lies in the great democracy, since Independence.
Despite of the considerable change in Indian foreign policy in recent years, there is much impatience among its friends in the west. This is because, they think that they consider that Delhi must to do lot more on the world stage. Being the capital of India, Delhi is implementing the policies incremental and slow. That should be changed. Delhi has managed to re-direct its internal and external orientation, in a sustainable level.
India today plays a vital role in the world in many ways. At the same time, it is dependent on the other countries of the world , for its security and prosperity. This shows that India is going to play a large and effective in the world stage.