Uniform Civil code of India
Why we need Uniform civil code ?
- It helps integration – yes, it help to bring each and every Indian, despite his caste, religion or tribe, under one national civil code of conduct.
- The politicians vote bank politics will reduce – Because all come under one roof, one law, so the politicians can’t play jimmicks with the minorities group.
- Personal laws acts as a loop hole to exploit the power. So , the uniform civil code will reduce the honor killings and female foeticide through out country.
- And simply, every modern society and nation, should have it. Economic growth is happening, whereas the social growth is not happening. To get the social growth, uniform civil code is essential. So that, India will grow a developed nation , with the social and cultural growth.
- Rights of women will be enhanced – it improves the condition of women in India. Our society is partial in gender wise. It helps in changing the old tradition of male dominating society.
- All Indians should be treated same – Now, the law differs from religion. Like, while muslims can marry multiple times in India, a Hindu or Christian will be under trouble for the same activity. Under the uniform civil code, all will be equal, in all aspects marriage, inheritance, family, land and eetc.
- It helps to develop India a secular state. Because, uniform civil code includes all citizens to follow the same, which will evolve being a secular nation. No discrimination, that is real secularism.
To talk on the words of legality, Article 44, which is one of the directive principles laid down to the Constitutions says, “ The state shall endeavour to secure for the citizens a uniform civil code throughout the territory of India”.
But people raise voices that, uniform civil code affects the personal laws of particular religion or community. For Example, women is getting equal rights according to the uniform civil code of law. In lieu of that, the Hindu undivided family law has to be get changed. As so for the Muslims, Christians and other personal law has to be changed according to the uniform civil code.
The question of implementation of uniform civil code arises, mainly because the personal laws of the religious communities have been challenged in the court of law as being violative of the Constitution or against public interest. The personal laws differs in certain situations like, divorce of a Muslim, child adoption bill, etc.
Even though a nation-wide civil code is yet to be accepted, the State government of Goa, has successfully implemented the “family laws” which is applicable to all communities, Hindus, Muslims, Christians and others. As because the Goa civil code is based on the portugest civil code.
But, the uniform civil code, seems to be a dream at a distance. Because , India is a state of lot of Relitions, castes and communities. As India is a overcrowded country, the minority people it is a failure to get equal treatment for all citizens.
Times of India has released an article, about the uniform civil code that Is nation ready for uniform civil code after 63 years ? They just discussed about the famous Shan Bano judgement , about the maintenance of the muslim divorcee. And they stated that “ Almost 80% of the citizens have already been brought the uniform civil code”.