Let we discuss the initiatives taken by the Election commission of India, T.N Seshan was the one, who levied the rules and responsibilities . They are :-
- Use of Scientific and Technological advancements – Electronic Voting Machines ( EVMs) were introduced to improve the reliability and efficiency. Electorals photo identity card were issued in 2004 elections.
- Multi member commission - The commission was started by only one chief commissioner. But, later they introduced multi member, two additional commissioners were introduced. In between they stopped and they started again.
The power of the Election commission of India :-
- Guardian of free and fair elections – One of the most important features of the democratic polity is elections at regular intervals. Democracy is the “ Government of the people, by the people, and for the people”. The commission levied proper procedures, to conduct the elections on the basis of the democracy.
- Code of conduct :- In each and every election, they levy a code of conduct should be followed on during the elections. It will be in such a way that, fraudulent votes will be avoided, to protect the public, guidelines for conduct of political parties. But , there are lot of instances where the political parties violated it.
- Registration of political parties :- A law regarding to the registration enacted in 1989, and lot of parties got registered with commission.
- Limiting the poll expenses :- The main power , is to have a control over the money during elections. The election commission appointed officers to keep an eye on the money spent on the elections, at various levels. Mainly, to control the money lending to the public, unnecessarily, that too the circulation of black money.
- Booth officer – the booth officer will be the local government/ semi-government official. The booth officer will be the representative of the election commission of India.
- Secretariat – The election commission has a separate secretariat at New Delhi, which will monitors the activities of the Election commission of India. The secretariat office will control over the budget and expenditure of the Election commission of India.
Now, the Election commissioners are :-
- Harishankar Brahma – who was an IAS officer, retired and he will hold the office till April 18, 2015.
- Syed Nasim Ahmad Zaidi – was also an IAS officer, he was a permanent member of India in the council of ICAO. He has also served as the Director General of Civil Aviation.
Thus, the Election commission of India, works efficiently. There are few more deficiency too.
The commission, just levied the rules and the principles, but the political parties are violating that. Being a large democratic world, the commission should give importance to the people , but the people don’t have the power to think it of, they are selecting with the available candidates and the fate of them, is thus decided. The machines should be improved still more, to avoid fraudulent votes. The election commission prohibited the executive’s interference. The media plays the major part over the elections, than the election commission. There is no control over the media, to expose a particular political party and commenting other one. It has become worse and worse, opposite parties comments on each other parties. The code of conduct, are not strictly followed practically.
Eventhough, it has several positive points, if it looks upon the negative points, and work on it, sure, it will become an effective commission !