Lokpal acts as a ombudsman in India. It has been acting as a legal representative of Indian citizens. The Lokpal bill provides for the filing, with the ombudsman, of complaints of corruption against the prime minister, other ministers and MP’s. We are here to discuss about, if the Lokpall is essential or not. The Lokpal bill was for the first time, during the fourth Lok sabha in 1968, and it got passed in 1969. The Lokpal bill got dissolved, and it remains pending in Rajya sabha. The Jan lokpal bill is an anti-corruption bill , for the safety of the citizens. The bill states that , we need a separate body, which will take care of the anti-corruption cases. And it laid down some rules such as, the cases has to be finished within one year.
The bill was drafted by Justice santhosh Hudge, who worked as a supreme court judge and lokayukta of Karnataka, Prashant Bhushan and Arvind Kejriwal, who is the activist in RTI. Anna hazare, who is fighting for this bill, he did fast-unto-death and made this bill during April, 2011 with some modifications . But Anna hazare, and his team and other political parties refused that, the bill was weak, later.
Anna hazare team includes IPS officer kiran bedi, Swami Agnivesh, Sri Sri Ravishankar, Mallika sarabhai and some other important persons, who acting as a crusaders to the anti-corruption policy. The website of the India Against corruption movement calls the Lokpal bill of the government an “ eyewash”.
Let’s discuss the salient features of Jan Lokpal Bill :-
- The government should set up a LOKPAL centre and Lokayutka.
- The two centers will be completely independent in its operations, as like our Election commission and supreme court.
- Cases against corruption, should not exceed one year. And the corrupt politician, should be at jail, within two years.
- At the time of conviction, he should redeem the loss caused because of him/her
- If the work of the citizens is getting delayed in the public offices, the officer responsible for that will be giving compensation , as per the complaint of the citizen. This will help a common man, a lot.
- We can approach the Lokpal, for any reason, that ration card, or passport or voter card is not being made, or police is not registering your complaint. Many points are there, like roads should be properly maintained, panchayat funds should be properly utilized.
- The lokpal members will be selected by the Supreme court judges and the citizens , because there can be possibility that , there also, we can see corruption.
- If there is any complaint on Lokpal officer, that also will be investigated, and he will be dismissed within two months.
- The department of vigilance, CBI and other anti-corruption agencies, will be merged in to Lokpal bill.
- It is the duty of Lokpal bill to give protection for the persons who are raising voice against the corruption.
All the above mentioned points, shows that, Lokpal bill is very much essential.