India is a country which has a long coastline and around 37% of India’s population derive benefits from the sea. To talk in the area wise, India has a sea area of 2 million square km along with 1 to 1.5 million of continental shelf , against the land area of 3.28 million sq km. Even some developed countries, don’t have a separate department for the ocean development.
The ocean development has 6 departments below it :-
- Scientific expeditions to Antarctica
- Coastal zone & Islands Research
- Surveys for Living & Non-living Resources
- Human resource development in Marine Sciences
- National Institute of Ocean Technology, Madras
- esign of Marine Instrumentation & Systems
The features of the ocean development policy are :-
- To do assessment and survey for the sustainable utilization of the ocean resources, living and non living sources of ocean energy.
- Introducing technological advances for the utilization and preservation of the marine environment.
- To do developmental activities such as instrumentation, diving systems, position fixing, materials development and oceanic data collecting devices.
- Established of an ocean information system, using the foreign sources, and to get co-operation at international level.
- Contribution towards ranking research in polar sciences
- Creation of centers in excellence in academic institutions and public awareness on the potential uses of ocean.
The centers which are working under the ocean development are , working in the coastal areas
- National institute of ocean technology at Chennai
- Antartic and ocean research centre at Goa
- Indian centre for ocean and information information services at Hyderabad
- Integrated coastal and Marine area management at Chennai
- Centre for marine living resources and Ecology at Kochi.
The applications of this ocean development programme are :-
- Environmental Impact Assessment :- It monitors the coastal and marine environment, continuously
- Meterology :- It maintains the meterological data which helps during the depressions and cyclones
- Oceanogrophy :- The data collected by this application will help to enhance the knowledge of Indian ocean circulation
- Fisheries :- The sea surface temperature and quality parameters used in identifying potential fishing zones
- Shipping :- The data on the sea state, wind, wave and currents, is very useful for navigation.
Thus, India plays its vital role in the Ocean development. Wishing them the Sustainable success !