Recently, two days back Astra missle was successfully tested at Bhubaneshwar, Orissa.
Let we see about some key facts about ASTRA,
- Astra is beyond-visual-range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM).
- It is developed by DRDO. The recent test were carried by Indian Air Force fighter air crafts.
- These tests were carried out from Sukhoi-30 MKI and its target was UAV - Un manned Aerial Vehicle. In future, it is going to be used in Tejas LCA.
- They can able to attack a target which is not visible even by normal eyes.
- They can able to attack short range target of 20 km to long range target of upto 80 km.
- Another major advantage is, it has smoke less propulsion system.
- It can able to intercept an aircraft which is coming even at Super Sonic Speed.
- It can be launched from the following fighter aircrafts,
- HAL Tejas,
- HAL AMCA
- PAK FA / Sukhoi/HAL FGFA,
- Mirage 2000 and